Member of: Site_Specific, WEAD (Women Environmental Artist Directory), AININ (Artists in Nature International Network), Yatooi, VANSA (Visual Arts Network of South Africa) & Knysna Arts Society.
Climate Reality Project, WESSA, Greenpeace Africa
PERFORMANCES / INSTALLATIONS
2016 | Pond performance as part of Stories of Rain (GNAP SA 2017), Wildekrans Country House, Houw Hoek, Western Cape, South Africa.
2015 | Dirt is good, soil installation at THAT ART FAIR, Salt River, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
2013 | A Journey in Words & Nuances, poetry narrative, StateoftheART gallery, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
2012 | Activate public space, public sand installation, Creative Week Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
2012 | SAND(SPOOR], interactive installation and performance, Arts Lounge, National Arts Festival, Western Cape, South Africa.
2010 | Nuances Performance, City Soireé. Wessel Snyman Creative, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
2010 | Great Walk and More Arts Festival, Greatmore Street, Woodstock, Western Cape, South Africa.
- Tankwa Artscape, South Africa (May/June 2019)
- OPENLab2016, as part of the Programme for Innovation in Artform Development (PIAD), an initiative of the Vrystaat Arts Festival and University of the Free State. Included a weeklong residency at MAP (Modern Art Projects) in Richmond. (July 2016)
- Global Nomadic Art Project Korea II. Presented by Yatoo-i, South Korea. (August 2015)
- Thupelo workshop, Ruth Prowse School of Art, Woodstock, Cape Town, South Africa (June 2015)
- Site_Specific International Land Art Biennale, Plettenberg Bay
- Koekenaap regional artists workshop. Presented by Wesland Art Society and the Department of Cultural Affairs, Koekenaap, Matzikama District, South Africa (October 2011)
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- VERGE, Knysna Art Gallery, Old Gaol Complex, Knysna, South Africa.
- Festival of Flowers, Glass Roots Studio, Kalanderkloof, Karatara, South Africa.
- The Grand VI, Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, Durbanville, Western Cape, South Africa.
- SPRING | UNTITLED. StateoftheArt Gallery, Cape Town.
- Stream of Consciousness. Liebrecht Gallery, Somerset West.
- OutoftheCUBE at Turbine Art Fair, 14-17 July, Johannesburg.
- It’s in my Nature… Exhibition by Janet Botes & Jaco Coetzee. Liebrecht Gallery, Somerset West
- An Awareness of Trees. Art Sauce, 62 Roeland Street, Cape Town, South Africa
- Remembrance of Nature: 30 Nature Artists in the World, Geumgang Nature Art Center, Gongju, S.Korea
- The Snake Eagle Thinking Path Launch exhibition. Matjiesfontein, Karoo, South Africa
- The Industrial Karoo – Fear & Loss. Pretoria Art Museum, South Africa
- Equus. Equus Gallery, Cavalli Estate, R44 between Somerset West and Stellenbosch
- Vakansiebriewe. Liebrecht Gallery. Somerset West
- A Sense of Place. OutoftheCUBE online gallery
- The industrial Karoo: FEAR & LOSS, curated by Katie Barnard du Toit. Oliewenhuis Art Museum, “The Reservoir”, Bloemfontein.
- Fragile Beautifull II. The Working Gallery, Bergvliet, Cape Town
- Pieces & Puzzles: Compositions of human expression inspired by nature. Lovell Gallery, Woodstock
- Encounters Annual Wildlife exhibition at the Cape Gallery, Cape Town
- Hiernamaals – Hereafter, Slee Gallery, Stellenbosch
- I am an African, Angels 7 exhibition, Gallery @ Grande Provence, Franschhoek, Western Cape
- (eco)nversations GREEN ART 2012, Green Expo, Cape Town Internation Convention Centre (CTICC)
- Walk This Earth Alone, Gallery @ Grande Provence, Franschhoek, Western Cape.
- HumanEarth III: First Material, US Gallery, University of Stellenbosch’s Woordfees,Western Cape
- Scrapes & Scapes, Exhibition by Janet Botes & Mark Shaun Hopkins. Bodutu Gallery, Vanderbijlpark
- HumanEarth: conversation, Wessel Snyman Creative, Cape Town. Curated by Nastasha Daniels
- Dare to Dream in Silent Moments, Wessel Snyman Creative, Cape Town
- VAN-Guard Winelands Group Exhibition, Durbanville Hills, Western Cape. Curated and organized by VANSA.
- State of Mind, VANSA Spin Space, Cape Town
- Sangisa Sangisa, exhibition & group performance, VANSA Spin Space, Cape Town
- Unified: Unpretty, Unclean, Underneath, Unnatural. Eat Your Words Artspace, Vereeniging
- Dabbling in Digital Dichotomies, Magpie Gallery, Irene, Pretoria. 6 – 23 September 2008
- Between the lines, Gallery at Duncan Yard, Hatfield, Pretoria. Curated by Cecily Phol
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Art in nature experiences, including:
Land Art workshops in Wilderness, Western Cape, South Africa (2018)
Mud painting kids activity during National Science Week – Garden Route Botanical Garden, George (2017)
Sensploration workshop, as part of the launch programme for the Riverine Rabbit Thinking Path (Doekvoetpad) lauch week – Loxton (2017)
View photos of the above experiences
- Facilitation of creative classes and art workshops in different studios and spaces in Cape Town & the Garden Route (2011-currently)
- Commissioned art for offices, businesses and private residencies (2008 – 2017) – view a small selection of corporate commissions >>
- Part of the Site_Specific team on the following projects:
Assisting with the coordination, marketing & design for Stories of Rain – Global Nomadic Art Project (2016)
One of the volunteer artists for the creation of the Snake Eagle Thinking Path in Matjiesfontein (2015) – Karoo Geoglyph Project
Created the graphic design for all promotional items for the Site_Specific International Land Art Biennale, Plettenberg Bay (2013)
Co-coordinated the Land Art project at Wildekrans Country House for Elgin Open Gardens (2015)
- Co-coordinated the monthly Western Cape Land Art gatherings (2014-2016) – join ongoing gatherings
- Invited to act as judge for the Strokes of Genius Schools Art Competition by the Shoprite Checkers Development Fund (2012 – 2013)
- Consultation on branding, graphic design & signage for StateoftheArt gallery (2012-currently)
- Graphic Design and illustration projects for Knysna Basin Project and the African Climate Reality Project (2017-currently)
- Commissioned to create artwork for the Sandown bus station on the West Coast – Cape Town City MyCiti BRT system (2013)
- Self-initiated Waste Art workshops, Presentations & projects focused on Climate Change awareness & eco-friendly living and art-making
- Curated & co-organized the (eco)nversations Green Art exhibition at the Green Expo, CTICC, in close collaboration with the artists and Expo organisers (2012)
- Volunteering with environmental organisations (2010 – ongoing) assisting on various projects.
2006 | B TECH: Graphic Design (Cum Laude), Vaal University of Technology, South Africa
2005 | National Diploma: Graphic Design, Vaal University of Technology, South Africa
2002 | Senior Certificate with Merit, Transvalia Highschool, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
2000 | Entrepreneurship Certificate, North West University, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
WORKSHOPS / SHORT COURSES ATTENDED
- Medicinal Foods Workshop, presentated by The Geurilla House, Hout Bay, Cape Town. (September 2017)
- Edible Forest Gardening workshop by Matthew Koehorst & Sean Spender (November 2016)
- Creating Site-Specific Dance and Performance Works, CALARTS online course through Coursera. Presented by Stephan Koplowitz, California Institute of the Arts. (September-November 2014)
- Introduction to Art Therapy. Presented by Samantha Davis, Cape Town. (March 2013)
- IN FOCUS concept development workshop Presented & facilitated by Kai Lossgott, hosted by VANSA Western Cape (March 2011)
- Cross Pollination Workshop. Presented by Karen Suskin, Helen van Zyl & Haldane Martin. Cape Town (August 2011)
- Professional Practice for Artists. Presented and facilitated by Les Cohn and Tarryn Cohn from Art Source, and Theresa Lizamore from Art Space Gallery (Johannesburg), held at VANSA Western Cape, Cape Town (March 2010)
- Performance Art Workshop Presented by Spier Contemporary and the African Centre, facilitated by Jay Pather, held at University of Cape Town’s Hiddingh Campus, Cape Town (August 2009)
- Lomography Workshop Facilitated by Fernando Badiali from Exposure Gallery at Greatmore Studios, Woodstock, Cape Town (April 2009)
- S.I. Tutor Training Programme Vaal University of Technology, Vanderbijlpark (January 2006)
SELECTED INITIATIVES SUPPORTED BY DONATING ARTWORK / SKILLS
- WESSA Eden branch
- South African Eco Film Festival
- Precious Tree Project
- Annual Bike Art Auction in support of the Stellenbosch Trail Fund
- HOLAH (House of Love and Hope)
- WESSA Rhino Iniative
- Greenpop Reforest Festival
- Anti-fracking campaign coordinated by Andreas Spath